I think every summer there is always a series of songs or an album or playlist we listen to all day every day and know all the lyrics to, from the first word to the last note.
In the car, with all the windows wide open, and the music blasting through the speakers singing at the top of our lungs with friends and family.
These are the songs I was listening to this summer…
1. La Thune-Angele : This Belgian singer is a rising star, she just doesn’t take herself seriously and this song just shows that completely. I was listening to this song while at my mum’s work just wandering around the corridors and it was great ! I also recommend watching the clip where I’m pretty has a lot of film references.
2. La loi de Murphy-Angele : Again, Angele is amazing, I usually don’t like when a song mixes French and english but with this song it just works. The song alternates between French rap and English singing and Angele pulls it off effortlessly.
3. Fu-Gee-La-Fugees : I really love the Fugees music, their songs are also really thought out and it feels like they’re actually telling a story as oppose to shouting about how much money they have or how many people they f**k. Every time I listen to this song I picture someone walking in slow motion with the sun in their face. Wyclef and Pras’ rap and Lauryn’s singing, this song is just COMPLETE. And god!damn! can Lauryn Hill spit some raps (I know she’s a rapper but still). I their album “The Score” and this song I gold.
4. Rehab-Amy Winehouse : Everybody knows Amy had the most incredible voice, she is a modern legend. This was the first song I heard from her when I was about ten and I honestly thought she was black. That jazzy stunning voice that black people usually have was actually coming out of Amy’s mouth. he’s amazing at conveying emotion and crafting a story into a song with all the rhythm that’s just about right. Also I love how honest she was, in her songs and throughout her life. And god I f**king love this song.
5. L’aventurier-Indochine : I think song would be really cool in a film, the start of the song is interesting and the build-up is really fun. I feel like I’m in a Mad Max film and a desert riding away in the sunset when I hear “L’aventurier”.
6. Doo Wop (That Thing)-Ms Lauryn Hill : I saw a video by NerdWriter1 on youtube a few months back, about Lauryn Hill and I was really inspired, I had seen her, thanks to my mum but I digged deeper and realised my mum had her album-and goddamn is it a great one ! As a first album I’d say it was a “coup de maitre” as you’d say in French. Do Wop is a track on the album and it was an enormous hit when it came out-and rightfully so- Do Wop shows how good Lauryn is at writing a song and rapping and how flexible her voice is. It’s also a timeless song because of what it talks about.
7. Marcia Baila-Les Rita Mitsuko : You genuinely have to hear this song once for it to be permanently stuck in your head. I saw this singer at a festival this summer and after hearing her perform this song I could not FOR THE LIFE OF ME forget this song. This song is just so 80s and so…cool ! And it’s probably the only 80s French song I know. I also never realised what this song is about, it talks about a woman who was a dancer and died of cancer, [the singer] was actually friends with this dancer. It’s also touching in way but it’s has so much energy.
8. B-A-B-Y-Carla Thomas : This song is just so adorable, I love how groovy it is and Carla Thomas has the most beautiful voice.
9. Sound of da police-KRS-One : My cousins kept saying “woop-woop” and I didn’t know why but I started saying that, for no reason, all the time and it’s when I heard this song in the film “Tag” in golf court chase that I actually realised this is a song ! And goddamn is it a good one, strangely modern about police violence towards the black community that we see more and more each day, with all the media surrounding it.
10. Stand by me-Ben.E.King : Definitely one of the most beautiful songs ever made, the melody and Ben.E.King’s voice make the most amazing ensemble. I love how this song is just about LOVE, not romance specifically, it could be friend love, motherly love, brotherly love, just love. The song is just about how whatever you do, I will stand by you and love you no matter what and if that isn’t the most wonderful message, I don’t know what is. I genuinely can’t put into words how much I love this song and how it makes me feel.
Thank you for reading,